Dorothy Spinner makes her debut in new promo images and posters for the second season of Doom Patrol. The images released by Entertainment Weekly gives us a first look at Dorothy Spinner played by Abigail Shapiro. The character was introduced in Doom Patrol season 1 finale episode titled “Ezekiel Patrol”. She’s the daughter of The Chief and a primitive woman. Dorothy Spinner has the ability to make her imaginary friends real, an ability she inherited from her mother.
Created by Paul Kupperberg, Dorothy Spinner made her debut in Doom Patrol vol. 2, #14 Comic Book series released in November 1988. She was a background character in the series before becoming a full member of the Doom Patrol team a few issues later.
Dorothy Spinner imaginary friends are:
- Damn All – Made of a newspaper crossword puzzle and financial reports with multiple eyes and a big smile.
- Darling-Come-Home – Wears an apron and has the head of a lightbulb’s picture. Damn, All’s wife.
- Flying Robert – A ghost baby balloon thing. Damn, All’s the son.
- The Inky Boys – Three people made up of ink.
- Pretty Miss Dot – Has lipstick fingers, a helmet over her head covered with lips and curlers, a sweater with a big “D” on it, and shoes that have skulls stitched into them.
- Vegans – Three rhyming girls in tribal masks with deer legs who can-can.
- Paddle the Sky – A dark swirling mass of hands with paddles.
- Dark as the Morning – A shadowy, eyeless smoke being with a mouth filled with fangs.
- Heart-of-Ice – Can make ice.
- A false Robotman – Thought he was the real Robotman.
- Jolly Hangar – Made up of coat hangers.
- A false Joshua Clay – Complete with a chest wound and rotting flesh.
- A false Niles Caulder
- Honey Pie – Made up of a beehive with branches for arms and legs and a honey pot for ahead.
- Spinner – Spinner was actually a member of the Doom Force, a one-shot special that Grant Morrison wrote which was a cross between the Doom Patrol and X-Force. She appeared in the imaginary version of the Doom Patrol Dorothy summoned to protect her.
- Polly Polly Tinker Boy
- Cowboy Doll Bookface
- Rockabye Baby
- Baby Twig Lady
- The Candlemaker – Notionally one of her imaginary friends, but actually has an external existence as an egregore/gestalt being, with a candelabra for ahead; it is the world’s fear of nuclear holocaust.
Doom Patrol first season premiered on DC Universe on February 15, 2019, consisting of 15 episodes. The series is produced by Berlanti Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television. The series is based on characters created for DC by Arnold Drake, Bob Haney, and Bruno Premiani.
Doom Patrol Cast includes:
- Timothy Dalton as Niles Caulder/The Chief
- Brendan Fraser as Cliff Steele/Robotman
- Matt Bomer as Larry Trainor/Negative Man
- April Bowlby as Rita Farr/Elasti-Woman
- Joivan Wade as Victor Stone/Cyborg
- Diane Guerrero as Kay Challis/Crazy Jane
- Phil Morris as Silas Stone
- Alan Tudyk as Eric Morden/Mr. Nobody
Following the defeat of Mr. Nobody, DC’s strangest group of heroes — Cliff Steele aka Robotman (Brendan Fraser), Larry Trainor aka Negative Man (Matt Bomer), Rita Farr aka Elasti-Woman (April Bowlby), Jane aka Crazy Jane (Diane Guerrero), and Victor Stone aka Cyborg (Joivan Wade) now find themselves mini-sized and stranded on Cliff’s toy race car track. Here they begin to deal with their feelings of betrayal by Niles Caulder aka The Chief (Timothy Dalton) while confronting their own personal baggage. However, they must come together to protect Dorothy Spinner. The newest member of the family whose powers are a real threat to bring in the world. That is if they can find a way to grow up…both figuratively and literally.
DOOM PATROL season 2 will be released both on DC Universe and HBO Max when its available for streaming starting June 25.