The Cells at Work! Code Black official Twitter account has released a new trailer for the anime series based on Shigemitsu Harada and Issei Hatsuyoshiya’s Cells at Work! spinoff manga. The promotional video also announces the series stuff and cast members.
Cells at Work! Code Black announced cast members:
- Kenn as Red Blood Cell
- Lynn as White Bood Cell (Neutrophilic)
- Yumi Uchiyama as White Bood Cell (Neutrophilic)
- Takashi Narumi as Gastric Chief Cell
- Yurika Kubo as Platelet
Cells at Work! Code Black staff members:
- Mechanic Design: Yoshihiro Ujiie
- Action Effect Animation Director: Tomohiro Kamitani
- Art Directors: Masahiro Sato, Chiaki Tsukahara
- Art Director Assistant: Mayuka Ota
- Color Key Artist: Ryoko Oka
- 3D CGI Director: Kazuaki Hara (Asahi Production)
- Compositing Director of Photography: Junpei Takatsu
- Compositing Director Assistant of Photography: Masami Takamura
- Editing: Mai Hasegawa
- Sound Director: Ryoshi Tanaka
- Sound Effect: Masami Kitakata
- Music: Yūgo Kanno
- Music Production: Aiplex
LIDEN FILMS is animating and Hideyo Yamamoto (Strike the Blood, Magical Girl Spec-Ops Asuka) is the anime series, director. In addition, Hayashi Mori (The Snack World, Layton Mystery Tanteisha: Katori no Nazotoki File) will write the series scripts, and Eiji Abiko (Last Hope, Baby Blue) will design the characters. The series is a different project from the TV anime series adaptation of Akane Shimizu’s Cells at Work!, which will also receive a second season in 2021.
Shimizu serialized the manga in Kodansha’s shōnen manga magazine Monthly Shōnen Sirius starting in March 2015. The manga received numerous spinoff including Hataraku Saikin (Bacteria at Work), Hatarakanai Saibō (Cells That Don’t Work), Cells at Work! Code Black (Hataraku Saibō Black), Hataraku Saibō Friend, Hataraku Kesshōban-chan (Platelets at Work), Hataraku Saibō Baby (Cells at Work! Baby), and Hataraku Saibō Lady (Cells at Work! Lady).
A newbie Red Blood Cell is one of 37 trillion working to keep this body running. But something’s wrong! Stress hormones keep yelling at him to go faster. The blood vessels are crusted over with cholesterol. Ulcers, fatty liver, trouble (ahem) downstairs… It’s hard for a cell to keep working when every day is a CODE BLACK!
The manga and anime Cells at Work! showed you what happens when a young, healthy body gets in trouble… but what if the body wasn’t so young, and was never very healthy? This new take stars a fresh-faced Red Blood Cell and his friend, the buxom White Blood Cell, as they struggle to keep themselves and their world together through alcoholism, smoking, erectile dysfunction, athlete’s foot, gout… it’s literal body horror! Whoever this guy is, he’s lucky his cells can’t go on strike!